Korean-Style Tofu Jeon is a delicious and healthy dish that is commonly found in Korean households and restaurants. Jeon, also known as a “pancake,” is a popular Korean dish that can be made with a variety of ingredients, including meat, seafood, and vegetables. However, one of the most popular variations is Tofu Jeon, which is made with soft tofu as the main ingredient.
To make Tofu Jeon, the first step is to press the tofu to remove any excess water. This can be done by placing the tofu between two plates and adding weight on top, such as a can of beans or a heavy book. After about 20 minutes, the tofu will have released its excess liquid and will be ready to use.
Next, the tofu is mixed with a batter made of flour, water, and seasonings such as salt, pepper, and scallions. Some recipes may also include a small amount of kimchi or other vegetables for added flavor. The mixture is then fried in a pan with a small amount of oil until golden brown on both sides.
Tofu Jeon is typically served as a side dish, but can also be enjoyed as a main dish with a bowl of rice. It is often garnished with sesame seeds and scallions, and can be served with a variety of dipping sauces such as soy sauce or chili paste.
One of the great things about Tofu Jeon is that it is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. It is also a great way to incorporate more tofu into your diet, as it is a good source of protein and other nutrients.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make Korean dish, give Tofu Jeon a try. You’ll love its crispy texture and savory flavor.
- In a bowl, mash tofu then set aside.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Then add into the mashed tofu bowl.
- Add garlic, spring onion, red bell pepper, salt and flour. Mix the ingredients until well-incorporated.
- In a hot pan with cooking oil, drop a heaping spoon of the mixture. Leave about an inch space in between.
- Fry each side for about 5 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Repeat this process until you’ve used up all the mixture.
- Drain off the excess oil using by placing the fried cakes in plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce and garnish with spring onion. Enjoy!